Our History

Albert Morrow & son, George outside No.22 Dale Street 1952


The first member of the Morrow family who had involvement in the hosiery business in Liverpool was Robert Morrow. He arrived in Liverpool from Northern Ireland and started trading as a hosier, draper and clothier at No.4 Whitefield Road


Robert moved premises to No. 142 Whitefield Road.


Robert died prematurely on the 5th September, aged 44. He left his businesses at 162 Whitefield Road and the Royal Arcade, Market Street, Hoylake in trust for his wife and two infant children, Robert and James. Little did he know that the future head office of Morrow's at 251 Breck road would be less than 350 metres from Whitefield Road. His will was passed down to Albert Morrow's eldest daughter, Kathleen.
Will of Robert Morrow - Hosier, Draper and Clothier


A young Albert Morrow arrived in Liverpool from Northern Ireland aged 16.


Trading as a hosier, Albert opened his first shop in the heart of Liverpool City centre at 13 Whitechapel having bought it from R.J Blackler, the owner of a Liverpool Department Store. After four years he began to expand his business and opened a second shop at 251 Breck Road. This became the Morrow's head office for 71 years. Further shops were opened at 98 Wavertree Road and 210 Walton Breck Road.
Agreement for the sale of fixtures and fittings at 13 Whitechapel between Albert Morrow and R.J.Blackler 1912


Albert Morrow continued to expand the business acquiring premises in and around Liverpool. He opened shops at 309 Breck Road, 228 County Road, 335 & 337 Stanley Road, 130 Oakfield Road and Liverpool's Clayton Square
Morrow's premises on the corner of Clayton Square and Cases Street 1934


Albert also acquired 212 Walton Breck Road and 30 Lime Street.
1929 Albert Morrow was elected as a Liverpool City Councillor


Morrow’s opened further shops at 17 Prescot Road, 309 Breck Road and 36 Hillside Road, Huyton. The shop at Wavertree Road was turned into a Ladies Outfitters. In 1939 a young George Morrow, then aged 19, joined his father in business having completed an apprenticeship at the firm of Robb Brothers, a department store on Main Street, Birkenhead.


Albert became an Alderman of the City of Liverpool in 1942. In 1945 the business was incorporated as Morrow’s Limited and traded as a Gentlemen’s, Ladies and Children’s Outfitters. The first new premises acquired by the company was at 22 Dale Street. Due to war damage during the Blitz, much of Liverpool city centre was lost and whole blocks were demolished to provide room for new post-war developments. Most of Clayton Square was demolished after compulsory purchase orders thus ending our presence there.
A view from Hackens Hey with Morrow’s shop on Dale Street


The company expanded by acquiring 216 Walton Breck Road and the department store J.M. Evans. This specialist drapery firm was established in 1897 and ceased trading in 1979.


Albert Morrow became The Lord Mayor of Liverpool. Morrow’s premises at 30 Lime Street was managed by Albert's nephew, Albert Weston. By this time, George had taken over the day-to-day running of the business which then had its main city premises at 22 Dale Street.

Alderman Albert Morrow JP Lord Mayor of Liverpool

Alderman Albert Morrow JP as Lord Mayor and Chief Magistrate of Liverpool


Morrow’s sold 17 Prescot Road.
Agreement for the purchase of the goodwill, fixtures and fittings of 17 Prescot Road


94 & 96 County Road were opened for use as a Ladies' and Children’s Outfitters.




The company opened further premises in Huyton at the newly developed Sherborne Square. 22 Dale Street was redeveloped and the company moved into State House.


The Company Secretary, Kathleen Walsh completed 50 years of service. She continued working until 1973
Kathleen Walsh receiving a canteen of silver cutlery from Albert and George Morrow


Following the death of Albert in 1969, George was the Managing Director of the business. He was the Chairman of the Liverpool Trade Draperies Society, a member of the Liverpool Trade Protection Society and a General Commissioner of Taxes.
As it was clear to George that his only child Graham would not be following in his footsteps he gradually wound down the business. The branch at Dale Street was closed in 1983 thus ending Morrow’s presence in Liverpool City centre. The last shop to be closed was in County Road. This was in 1987, the year in which Philip Morrow was born. The company was then dissolved in 1994.

20th July 2011

Incorporation of Morrow’s (Outfitters) Limited. Philip Morrow begins ­trading as a hosier under the old Morrow’s name.