History of Morrows
The first member of the Morrow family who had involvement in the hosiery business in Liverpool was Robert Morrow who started trading as a hosier, draper and clothier at No.4 Whitefield Road
Robert moved premises to No. 142 Whitefield Road.
Robert died on the 5th September leaving his businesses at 162 Whitefield Road and Market Street, Hoylake in trust for his wife and two infant children, Robert and James.
Albert Morrow arrived in Liverpool from Ireland.
Trading as a hosier, Albert opened his first shop in the heart of Liverpool City centre at 13 Whitechapel having bought it from R.J Blackler, the owner of a Liverpool Department Store. After four years he began to expand his business and opened a second shop at 251 Breck Road. Further shops were opened at 98 Wavertree Road and 210 Walton Breck Road.
Albert Morrow continued to expand throughout the 1920’s acquiring premises in and around Liverpool. He opened shops at 309 Breck Road, 228 County Road, 335 & 337 Stanley Road, Liverpool’s Clayton Square, 130 Oakfield Road, 212 Walton Breck Road and 30 Lime Street.
Morrow’s opened further shops at 17 Prescot Road, 309 Breck Road and 36 Hillside Road, Huyton. The shop at Wavertree Road was turned into a Ladies Outfitters. In 1939 a young George Morrow, then aged 19, joined his father in business having completed an apprenticeship at the firm of Robb Brothers, a department store on Main Street, Birkenhead.
Albert became an Alderman of the City of Liverpool in 1942. In 1945 the business was incorporated as Morrow’s Limited and traded as a Gentlemen’s, Ladies and Children’s Outfitters. The first new premises acquired by the company was at 22 Dale Street. Due to war damage during the Blitz, much of Liverpool city centre was lost and whole blocks were demolished to provide room for new post-war developments. Most of Clayton Square was demolished after compulsory purchase orders thus ending our presence there.
The company expanded by acquiring 216 Walton Breck Road and the department store J.M. Evans. This specialist drapery firm was established in 1897 and ceased trading in 1979.
Albert Morrow became The Lord Mayor of Liverpool. Morrow’s premises at 30 Lime Street was managed by Albert's nephew, Albert Weston. By this time, George had taken over the day-to-day running of the business which then had its main city premises at 22 Dale Street.
Morrow’s sold 17 Prescot Road.
94 & 96 County Road were opened for use as a Ladies' and Children’s Outfitters.
The company opened further premises in Huyton at the newly developed Sherborne Square. 22 Dale Street was redeveloped and the company moved into State House.
The Company Secretary, Kathleen Walsh completed 50 years of service. She continued working until 1973
Following the death of Albert in 1969, George was the Managing Director of the business. He was the Chairman of the Liverpool Trade Draperies Society, a member of the Liverpool Trade Protection Society and a General Commissioner of Taxes.
As it was clear to George that his only child Graham would not be following in his footsteps he gradually wound down the business. The branch at Dale Street was closed in 1983 thus ending Morrow’s presence in Liverpool City centre. The last shop to be closed was in County Road. This was in 1987, the year in which Philip Morrow was born. The company was then dissolved in 1994.
20th July 2011
Incorporation of Morrow’s (Outfitters) Limited. Philip Morrow begins trading as a hosier under the old Morrow’s name.